Hometown: Fayetteville, GA
College: Morehouse College
Dental School:Columbia University
1. Describe your job in three words: Does anybody ever say, “I need one!” (laughs) J.C. answer the question. pretty damn cool.
2. What’s a typical day like? As a fourth year dental student I wake up around 6:30ish. I try to go into the clinic and take care of any last minute lab work I need to do before I see the first patient of the day. If some of my classmates are around we usually run to McDonalds. I see patients from 9-5 or 9-7 depending on the day. Then I take care of more lab work. I go to the gym. Wait, I haven’t done that in two weeks.Then I go home and catch up on some shows on Hulu. That’s it. And then repeat.
3. Do you eat fast food a lot? I go through blocks. Like little segments. If I work out consistently then I don’t, but if something big is coming up and it’s occupying a lot of my time then I’m more likely to grab fast food. The big thing is going to the bar which results in eating crappy, unhealthy food.
4. Do you want me to say that part about the bar? Yes you can say that. Thanks for asking. I feel like most journalists are like oh, you said it-THAT’S FAIR GAME!
5. What do you think about journalists? I feel like they have their place. They can be cool because they help people tell their stories,but at the same time I don’t know how much I really trust them. It seems like they have too much power to manipulate the conversations to make someone appear as the person they want them to. If they want someone to look evil then they can chop and paste. Or if it’s an interview like this nobody’s here besides me and you so no one will know what I really said. It’s kinda like reading a text message.You can read the same line three different ways. If you don’t add an emoticon then you don’t really know what the person said. And I’m still mad that I’m like the last one to be interviewed. But you didn’t even know about the blog! How was I supposed to know. Was I supposed to like google Robin Beck?
6. Okay what would come up If I googled you? Well, I googled myself and I guess I really fell off. That’s depressing. Makes you wonder what you’re doing with your life. But there are some awesome Jonathan Elmores out there. I think one is in real estate…or law. I can guarantee you that he’s not as cool as I am.
7. So you really like teeth? They’re alright. I like medicine and overall health. With dentistry it goes beyond teeth. You deal a lot with the head and neck part of the body, but you are still responsible for their overall health. A lot of diseases can be discovered based off of things that show up in your mouth.
8. Was that a stupid question? No.You’d be surprised how many times I get that question. It’s like no I really like feet and I got confused as to what I signed up for!
9. Thoughts on ADD? Let me tell you what I think. I think it is real, but I don’t think it is as prevalent as it comes off to be. Like I don’t think there are that many people walking around with ADD. When I was doing research I met another researcher who said she had ADD and she told me about things that happened to her…like she’d be driving and almost blank out for a second or her mind would wander and she’d be like oh, snap, how’d I get to the red light? She said she needed it to focus and keep her mind under control. So I do think there are people out there, but on the same note I feel that a lot of people are using it as a bailout and taking advantage of how easy doctors will say ADD. I feel like some people growing up would run to be diagnosed in an attempt to get extended time for tests and things. Although I do feel, I want to reiterate this, some people did need it to get the opportunity to perform well…the world does not function on extended time. If you’re in surgery and someone’s crashing you don’t have extended time. Not to say they can’t be doctors. There’s gotta be doctors who have it, but they have found a way to handle their disorder. I feel like you are trying to be as nice as possible. Do you do that a lot? Yes. Well you want to say things in a way that don’t attack people.
10. In ten years you will be…fucking rich. Just kidding. Ten years? Hopefully, settling into my profession. All I ask and this is foreal…all I ask is to be satisfied with where I am and what I’m doing, but still with an urge to desire and learn more. Oh, wait! Does your mom read this blog? Mmhm.Then please change fucking rich to freaking.
No J.C. I’m not one of those journalists who manipulates the conversation. The word stands. (We both laugh)