Hometown: Chicago, Illinois
College: Emory University
Graduate School: New York University
Occupation: Student and Administrative Aide
1. Describe your job in three words: pleasant, low-impact, nice
2. Why low impact? I mean it’s not strenuous. It doesn’t make my head hurt. I’m not doing rocket science.
3. You worked in finance for two years? That was a great job! Why did you quit? I didn’t find it fulfilling. It didn’t make me smile.
4. Why do you want to be a psychologist? Do you want my honest answer? I just want to make people happy. Why do you think I’d want a dishonest answer? When I say that people don’t believe me so I do have an answer that tells people what they want to hear and what they’re more comfortable with.
5. Okay Jordan. Give me your dishonest answer. Why do you want to be a psychologist? I think it’s a great way to leverage my skill set. I think my ability to listen to people and have an objective point of view will allow me to help others get through their problems. Yea I’d say some bullshit like that.
6. Who and what makes you think of honesty? What? I think of not having to make up stories to yourself. And who? There is someone I know who is super honest. There is someone…Can I come back to that one? (I nod)
7. If I told you grad school was just too much for me and I was going to drop out what would you say? I’d say well is there something scaring you? Are you overwhelmed? And if you were set on that attitude I would just say do what’s right for Robin. Get a plan and do what’s right for Robin.
8. Back to this happiness thing. What’s the happiest you’ve ever been? When it’s really nice outside and dark….I’m in a city and I’m just sitting outside listening to music. I just feel really calm and happy. I don’t have a happiness time.I try to make it continuous.
9. What do you think is the purpose of life? To use your unique gift to help make the world a better place, but not like “oh I have to feed the hungry or find water for people who have none.” Just find your special gift and use it.
10. In ten years you will be… I’ll be happily married to my life partner. I’ll have my PhD. And I’ll try to make people happy.
*You never told me who was honest! Yea I thought maybe you’d forget. I don’t think anyone is that honest. I think we’re all fucked up. Do you really think that? Yes, but we’re all in it together. (Blank stare) Okay okay fine The New York Times. That’s who. They are honest.