Hometown: Calcutta, India
College: Smt. J.D. Birla Institute, Jadavpur University and University of Pennsylvania
Graduate School: Columbia University
Occupation: Graduate Student
1. Describe your job in three words: Refreshing, intense and fun.
3. Were your parents nervous about your move? They were because it was the first time that I would be living alone. I was very sure that I could handle it. They never approved of my studying in America, but I managed to convince them. I knew it was coming at some point and I’d rather do it as a student than at a later stage.
4. How did you convince them? Give me two lines of what I’m sure was a persuasive speech. My only line was: even if I had to die tomorrow, I would be happy knowing that I lived my life and did what I wanted. And it worked! Yes, we wouldn’t be talking right now otherwise!
5. Something you would like to learn more about. I am very interested in calligraphy and typography… how fonts influence the effectiveness of a message.
6. Your favorite book and why? Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome.
7. If you wrote a book about your life what would you title it? The Agony and The Ecstasy which is already the name of a book by Irving Stone, but it suits my life just fine.
8. Who do you admire for their courage? Lance Armstrong. Has your opinion of him changed at all since the recent allegations? Not a bit! A man who has endured as much as he has cannot break the rules to get the extra edge. Cannot or would not? Would not. I’ve met him. He has the integrity and strength of character.
9. 2013 will be a great year because…I’m in a great city doing great work with great people!
10. In ten years you will be…running an avant-garde design shop with a focus on typography and visual identity.